Alien 9 / Alien Nine Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:22 am 
New Student
New Student

A lot of the forums and what not on here seem interesting but most are a year plus old.

Most people complain when you revive an old thread as well as complain when you start a similar thread even if the old one is like five years old. So do we try and revive or do we start a new thread with a similar topic. I suppose we could do neither and accept its dead all around but such a thing seems cruel although in most forums this is what happens. So Peoples would you rather see an old thread revived or a new thread made with a similar subject.

I personally would like to see old threads revived. I mean if it’s a question and its already been answered in full then there’s not much reason to just reply and say thank you or something but if it’s an ongoing debate or a personal opinion on a subject then why not revive. You may get other people to start commenting when before they wouldn’t comment because they didn’t want to be the one to revive.

I’m against starting a new thread with a similar title because it can cause clutter and for people who search for whatever you ask, it makes them have to search multiple threads just to try and find the right answer or the best answer to a question or to try and get multiple peoples feelings on an issue.

So what are all your guys and girls opinions on this?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:44 pm 
Alien Party Admin
Alien Party Admin

You can post in old threads, it's no problem. I do feel its tidier and if there is already a discussion going with dialogue and info already there then might as well contribute further than to have the same conversation elsewhere. If someone doesn't search and just creates a new thread for a quick question/discussion etc. it's fine though on a forum such as this. In some sites bumping old info can lead to confusion if its outdated but that doesn't really apply to a site such as this. In short: go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:23 am 
Fused Hybrid
Fused Hybrid

I agree with everything stated here. Reviving old threads seems to be the way to do things if the topic/discussion already exists. So far it doesn't seem like we have a problem with reviving old threads since the site is pretty inactive more the most part. Right now things aren't looking cluttered and if we were to get into the rule of not reviving threads it would eventually look cluttered, even if it were to take a long time.

However if the topic/discussion doesn't exist in the first page of topics in the forum then it should be fine to make a new one. There should be no need to go looking at every page to make sure whatever you want to say hasn't been said before.

There was one forum I went to for a casual online game, and they were very annoying about this. Even if the topic was 5 years old and the topic still existed you had to post related comments there. I quit playing just because of that. We were constantly forced to use the forum search and all that jazz. So, as long as we don't go to that extent, then it is cool with me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:55 pm 
Ultimate Symbiote
Ultimate Symbiote

Yes I like how this forum is pretty loose about that, on other threads there saying stuff like no reviving old threads, no double posting, and stuff like that, I gotta ask why people hate that stuff, double posting can be spamming yes, but only if they don't add anything relivant, and I just don't get the whole no reviving old threads thing. so ya I like how this forum dosn't bother about that stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:32 pm 
Alien Party Admin
Alien Party Admin

Double posting can be OK if there is a reasonable amount of time between posts. If its shortly after then it's better to just edit the previous post.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]