Alien 9 / Alien Nine Forum
It is currently Fri May 14, 2021 11:07 pm

All times are UTC




Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:49 pm 
Offline
Fused Hybrid
Fused Hybrid
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:47 pm
Posts: 238
Location: Somewhere in Washington State, U.S.A.
I won't be able to read any replies until early August, but I thought I'd ask anyway. ^^

Taken from the Introductions fourm:
CCMars wrote:
Kumi-chan wrote:
Ordos wrote:
yuri_otani wrote:
well... slapshock? not really. about alien 9? my friend introduced it to me. at first i was annoyed. :)


Y were u annoyed? Is it bcoz of the constant crying of yuri? or the bloody battles?


yea alot of people hate the way Yuri acts...you can't blame her though -~-


Which leads to an even bigger shame: Most people are not willing to look past her crying and see everything from her point of view. We're used to seeing main characters act all tough and brave. Characters who do anything but are considered a nuisance to a good majority of viewers. Why do you think Usagi ('Sailor Moon') was bashed by a lot of people?


As a bunch of you know, Yuri doesn't get a lot of slack. She cries at the drop of a hat (which I'll admit can test anyone's patience), is a bit of a klutz, and is so scared of aliens that she has trouble aiming her gun. But are these reasons really worthy of the bashing many fans tend to give her? One review even went as far as to mention that he and his friends shot imaginary bullets at her during their viewing of the show.* My sister asked me if Yuri gets any better after episode one, yet didn't even bother listening to me as I tried to explain.

In my opinion, it's one thing to dislike a character because they treat the other characters horribly and/or have terrible personalties in general. It's a whole different matter to dislike someone because they react to a certain situation the way anyone would.

What do you folks think? Do you feel the Yuri-bashing is justifiable? Why?

*I forget which one it was. I'll have to look for it.

_________________
"My Mom stole my boyfriend!"
"Your boyfriend stole my wife! Let's get back at them by dating each other! Wait a second. Daddy didn't think that one through."

Crystalline Academy -- Personal website.
My DeviantArt Gallery


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:35 pm 
Offline
Possessed
Possessed
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 1:55 am
Posts: 743
Location: Elementary School 9
not at all. Sure Yuri is a cry-baby but it brings out her character..next to Kumi, Yuri is my second favorites (tied with Monami) so i say leave poor Yuri alone ^^

_________________
Avvie by me


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:31 am 
Offline
Alien Catcher
Alien Catcher
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:50 am
Posts: 87
Location: Bandung
Personally I was never really bothered by her crying but that's probably just me...

Still, it's natural for people to expect a main character to develop his/her personality or being able to conquer the problem because that's the basic rule of characterization in any form of storywriting. Also, I think people like to root for the main character because eventually they will win in any kind of problems that they face. So, it's obvious that many people don't like crybaby Yuri.

But if you think about it, compared to some series where the main character suddenly have superpowers without any reason at all, I think Yuri is realistic.

_________________
"And everybody is an alien." - Alien 9


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:17 am 
Offline
Master Catcher
Master Catcher
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 11:12 pm
Posts: 519
Location: Planet Sunflower
Deepdeck wrote:
Personally I was never really bothered by her crying but that's probably just me...

Still, it's natural for people to expect a main character to develop his/her personality or being able to conquer the problem because that's the basic rule of characterization in any form of storywriting. Also, I think people like to root for the main character because eventually they will win in any kind of problems that they face. So, it's obvious that many people don't like crybaby Yuri.

But if you think about it, compared to some series where the main character suddenly have superpowers without any reason at all, I think Yuri is realistic.


I wasn't bothered by Yuri's crying either, Deepdeck. Also, I agree totally with your point of view.

Down with the Yuri-bashers!


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:38 am 
Offline
Borg Wearer
Borg Wearer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:18 am
Posts: 56
Location: Philippines
well Yuri's really understandable. it is easy to understand how she feels so we better leave Yuri alone, if we don't maybe she'll start crying again. :(

_________________
http://fandom.beautiful-contradiction.org/kasumi --> Kasumi FL
http://fandom.beautiful-contradiction.org/yuri ---> Yuri FL

Thanks to CE Yume for the layouts! ^_^

Labi kong di mapigil ang ngiti
Sa tuwing ika'y aking nakakatabi
Bango'y baon ko hanggang hatinggabi


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:11 am 
Offline
Alien Catcher
Alien Catcher
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:01 pm
Posts: 79
Location: The Cremeland (don't ask, just believe)
I love Yuri

(three words, thats it)

_________________
Baby
I know you're asking me to stay
Say please, please, please, don't go away
You say I'm giving you the blues
Maybe
You mean every word you say
Can't help but think of yesterday
And another who tied me down to loverboy rules
My Deviantart gallery, feel free to comment my work!


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:44 pm 
Offline
Master Catcher
Master Catcher
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 11:12 pm
Posts: 519
Location: Planet Sunflower
Well put Dragon.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:50 am 
Offline
Borg Wearer
Borg Wearer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:18 am
Posts: 56
Location: Philippines
yeah, WE ALL LOVE YURI!

that's it. i just hope you understand Yuri.

_________________
http://fandom.beautiful-contradiction.org/kasumi --> Kasumi FL

http://fandom.beautiful-contradiction.org/yuri ---> Yuri FL



Thanks to CE Yume for the layouts! ^_^



Labi kong di mapigil ang ngiti
Sa tuwing ika'y aking nakakatabi
Bango'y baon ko hanggang hatinggabi


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:27 am 
Offline
Alien Catcher
Alien Catcher
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:50 am
Posts: 87
Location: Bandung
yuri_otani wrote:
yeah, WE ALL LOVE YURI!

that's it. i just hope you understand Yuri.

*everybody joining hands, singing* All we are saying, give Yuri a chance, all we are saying, give Yuri a chance...

_________________
"And everybody is an alien." - Alien 9


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:31 am 
Offline
Alien Party Admin
Alien Party Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:51 pm
Posts: 616
Location: England
I agree with you about Yuri. In fact I go on about this somewhat in my little ramble page about her character. I think this part of what I said there best applies to this topic (sorry it's a little long, I do go on a bit with things):

Quote:
Alot of people believe that Yuri's personality is annoying, they feel that out of the trio she is the most useless and I would assume they also believe she overeacts. Personally though I find it hard to believe that people would expect such young children faced with adorning pulsating alien heads that feed off their own body and who is expected to go forth into life-threatening situations against unknown and unpredictable creatures sometimes twice their size (or more...) *not* to cry... but hey maybe that's just me thinking, eh? However Alien 9, as I said before, seems to have a big issue on the old metaphor of "appearances can be decieving". Yuri is no exception. Yuri is infact in a certain aspect the most stable of the three characters. Most would not agree with this due to her constant distressed crying, but it is the fact that she cries at all that is one reason she is more stable in comparison to the others. This is because the others hold in their negative feelings, to the point that they hide them. They do not willingly cry, and they believe they mustn't. Kasumi and Kumi are both fighting to hide their past so as to not dissapoint what family they have left despite feeling distressed at their losses and so have grown up with the notion that they must not show their real feelings. So in the end Yuri is actually better off for being able to express herself, infact she is a very emotional girl who reacts strongly to events that occur upon her e.g. when she is so overcome with happiness she cries with joy, and perhaps relief, after seeing her friends visit her for her birthday. She does not attempt to hold in her feelings and instead lets people know exactly how she is feeling. She has noone she feels she needs to hide her feelings from or anyone that she feel she must suffer in silence for. Perhaps this is another thing Alien 9 is trying to show us. Yuri believes her life is a living nightmare after she is forced into the Alien 9 party, and the surface premise has us following this closely, but by entering Alien 9 we get to see the personal nightmares that are happening otuside of the Alien 9 party's time. Yuri will eventually leave the Alien 9 party, after she graduates or her position is taken over. Her uncomfortable situation has a visible end to it in the anime. However for Kasumi and Kumi, they can only return to their personal nightmare of hidden loss and there is no visisble end. By using this underlying premise Alien 9 could say to people that there may be times when we feel life couldn't be worse when really in comparison to those around us, if we took the time to look, there are people in a much worse position.


More rambles here:
http://alien9.crossrealms.net/fan_ob_yuri.php

It's nice to see some support for this aspect of her character ^^

_________________
- -- --- Alien 9 / Alien Nine Unofficial Website - Since November 2003 --- -- -


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:03 am 
Offline
Alien Catcher
Alien Catcher
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:50 am
Posts: 87
Location: Bandung
Welcome back Sai! :hi:

I noticed my comment is similar to yours, especially in the beginning of your ramble.

_________________
"And everybody is an alien." - Alien 9


Last edited by Deepdeck on Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:14 am 
Offline
Fused Hybrid
Fused Hybrid
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 6:30 am
Posts: 250
Location: Here in the Core, Philippines
At first when I wasn't really getting deeper into the story, hell yeah I was annoyed at yuri for always crying. But as I got into the story, I started to get these chills, then it hit me, I started to feel Yuri's fears(ain't it weird, but seriously, It DID happen)... Then at an instant, I wasn't annoyed at her being a cry-baby anymore...

_________________
Wakuuu....


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:14 am 
Offline
Borg Wearer
Borg Wearer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:18 am
Posts: 56
Location: Philippines
yah. of course when u are still getting on with the story u will get annoyed with yuri but when you get a long way w/ the story u will understand yuri's feelings right?

_________________
http://fandom.beautiful-contradiction.org/kasumi --> Kasumi FL

http://fandom.beautiful-contradiction.org/yuri ---> Yuri FL



Thanks to CE Yume for the layouts! ^_^



Labi kong di mapigil ang ngiti
Sa tuwing ika'y aking nakakatabi
Bango'y baon ko hanggang hatinggabi


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:11 am 
Offline
Alien Party Moderator
Alien Party Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:24 am
Posts: 171
Yuri is rather justified in crying and stuff. After all, she's only... (how old is she again?). Morever, she was pushed into joining the Alien Party, not as if she was enthusiastically looking foward to kicking alien's butt. So yeah.. I'm alright with her. =D *waves a Yuri flag*

The only problem is, the voice actor for Yuri seems to be 'crying' enthusiastically (if you get what I mean), such that I get the chills whenever I hear Yuri crying. Maybe it's because the crying is too high-pitch for me...


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:15 am 
Offline
Alien Catcher
Alien Catcher
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:50 am
Posts: 87
Location: Bandung
I like Yuri's voice actor. In fact, I think I have a crush on her....

*cough* Seriously, the reason why Yuri sounds authentic is because at that time Ihata Juri, her voice actor, is around the same age as Yuri, so what we heard is what an actual 12 year old Japanese girl would sound like, not like Kumi and Kasumi who was voiced by 20-something women. Still, I admit that Yuri does cry like a baby, literally.

_________________
"And everybody is an alien." - Alien 9


Last edited by Deepdeck on Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited