Alien 9 / Alien Nine Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:36 pm 
Alien Party Admin
Alien Party Admin

Super 8, that's coming out in UK sometime soon. It's really that good? The 6 minute preview clip (with the kids doing some filming practise and then seeing the train crash) and the other trailer focusing on the whole roswell/alien in the train thing kinda unimpressed me. Felt like I could predict the characters from the outset. Also kind of felt like Goonies with aliens but not as good as Goonies. Lol I know that's harsh from just a trailer. But didn't want to read a review incase I ever did end up seeing it and got spoiler'ed.

I am looking forward to going to see Arrietty, basically Ghibli studio's take on The Borrowers. As always it'll probably be a under-promoted brief 1 week stint at the cinemas as all anime films are (even Ghibli ones with Disney's backing).

I mean I bet that Jim Carrey with penguins will probably get more advertising and 2 months in the cinema. The only thing I thought about the trailer for that was, why the crap does he have penguins anyway? Reading a summary I found out but they didn't actually say anything in the trailer I saw, it was just "Hey lookat da funnay penguins hurhur u give $$$ now?".

Last edited by Sai on Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:26 pm 
Ultimate Symbiote
Ultimate Symbiote

Ok, I think I'll look into Critters sometime, two other movies I liked were The Valley of Gwangi and 20 Million Miles to Earth, they may both be old movies with stop motion monsters but I like them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 pm 
Borg Wearer
Borg Wearer

Both those films featured animation by the great Ray Harruhausen, who I am a great fan of ^^

Critters certainly looks interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:58 am 
Alien Party Admin
Alien Party Admin

I need to get around to watching that DVD of Ray Harruhausen shorts I got. I enjoyed his work in Jason and the Argonauts and the old Sinbad movies as a kid.

For weirder stop-motion magicry check out Alice by Jan Svankmajer. Though its a shame it has no soundtrack, have to add your own, maybe Dark Side of the Moon like the Wizard of Oz sync phenomonon? o_O
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd03-wm6DDM

Also got a DVD of surrealist Jiri barta stuff with a strange re-telling of Pied Piper etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heG3noygR2s

And there was that weird stop-motion live action film The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK3FKdlDdNM

Oh and on a more lighter note there was some pretty quirky stop-motion stuff in this very funny series doing Grimm Brother stories narrated by the awesome Rik Mayall:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h3Enz5G ... re=related

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:18 am 
Alien Party Admin
Alien Party Admin

When I was really little, Jason and the Argonauts was my favorite movie. Every time I got sick (or faked it, usually xD) and managed to stay home from school, I would lay on our sofa and watch our VHS copy like 5 times in a row. In my animation class, we recently talked a lot about Ray Harruhausen. He's a totally BA dude :D

And... ...Jan Svankmajer... *shudders* .o.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:05 am 
Borg Wearer
Borg Wearer

Jan Svankmajer is a genius. Alice was the first work of his that I saw, but after checking out his shorts, I definitely have a lot of respect for his work. Probably one of the more ingenious animators alive today.

I like creepy stuff and abstract stuff, so Jan Svankmajer would be an obvious like of mine, being creepy AND abstract. Not as creepy and abstract as, say, Begotten or Eraserhead but still awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:52 am 
Alien Party Admin
Alien Party Admin

Yeah I first saw Alice when I was a kid when it came on TV. .o. But I found it fascinating in a strange way and then I grew up and forgot what it was. The internet came along and I tried to search for it. All I could remember was "puppet rabbit eats sawdust" or some other similar weird things. But eventually I found it. Dunno how it didn't scare me as a kid xD I somehow found the scene where Michael jackson turns into a werewolf at the beginning of Thrilller creepier (old school makeup effects) and other stuff.

Films that scare me are usually the ones that leave it to your imagination because my imagination is much scarier, I hated the dark as a kid since I would imagine things in it. I realise how cheap a move it was but Blair Witch Project *shudder*... Stuff like The Ring didn't creep me out after the movie was done, since the danger was visible (except for the stuff about 7 days that might have creeped me out a bit due to imagination again). This group of Japanese girls freaked though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ERHARhwlYw

The Thing was in a sort of similar vein but not fully since the danger was still somewhat visible (other people). But I still really liked that film, it's a very different sort of horror, more sinister. A more recent film The Hole tried a similar thing, hated the ending though since it didn't feel like the kind of cliche satisfaction I would of wanted lol.

And for horror games, Silent Hill doesn't "scare" me (played all except Origins/Shattered), disturbing though in parts yeah. Fatal Frame I think is scarier because dangers are more hidden sometimes than mutated monsters or zombies coming at you.

It's interesting the different things that scare different people. I remember going to Jurassic Park 2 The Lost World as a little kid and there was a adult man in the row infront of me who was really freaking out at the bit with the velocaraptors in the tall grass, it was pretty funny. But everyones different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:20 pm 
Ultimate Symbiote
Ultimate Symbiote

I'm just posting to say it's my birthday, just thought I should let you guys know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:43 pm 
Alien Party Admin
Alien Party Admin

Happy Birthday Draco :birthday: :confetti:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:10 pm 
Ultimate Symbiote
Ultimate Symbiote

Thank you Sai, it's actully allmost hard to beleave I'm 17, it seems like just yesterday I was a ten year old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:43 pm 
Borg Wearer
Borg Wearer

Happy birthday to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:04 am 
Alien Party Admin
Alien Party Admin

Happy birthday Draco! ^^ Sorry its late, though #o.o# Hoping you had a great one, buddy :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:35 am 
Ultimate Symbiote
Ultimate Symbiote

So, anybody else like the game Destroy all humans? don't know why I'm asking that, just trying to keep the forum active.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:03 pm 
Master Catcher
Master Catcher

(Srry school and hurricane's have been being jerkoffs)

I loved that game, the alien is hilarious, and you can DESTROY ALL HUMANS!
XD XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:22 pm 
Ultimate Symbiote
Ultimate Symbiote

Ya, thats what I loved about the game too, you were the alien instead of a human fighting aliens, and there was so much freedom.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next