Alien 9 / Alien Nine Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Triskaidekaphobia
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:45 am 
Alien Catcher
Alien Catcher

So, I was in a store today looking for some stuff to buy for New Years. When I arrived at the check-out, I noticed one thing: Every station was occupied except for No. 13. That's when started to think about Triskaidekaphobia's impact on Western Culture. Why is it that people have such an irrational fear of 13? Eventually, I headed to the express lane, and checked out my stuff. After the cashier wished me a good day, I don't really remember what I said next, but I just hope I didn't say "Thirteen" (I kind of have the feeling I might have, though).

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:26 am 
Master Catcher
Master Catcher

I believe that many people have the supersticious fear of the number 13, like the japanese and the number 4. It has been embedded in american culture for along time aspecially since the british were the ones to bring that irrational fear with them when they settled in the colonies over here. So its not surprising or embarassing to really have that fear, though what began the fear of this number is highly debatible. Some say it was from the thirteen original apostles ( Judas was the 13th apostle), some say it was from Tarot cards ( Death is the 13th card), it could be alot of things.

But nowadays its just too common a belief that everyone is completely oblivious to it!

Hope that is a good response....Back to homework and finishing my fanfics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:55 am 
Borg Wearer
Borg Wearer

It is unconscious fear of unconscious people. Being like that is more unfortunate than any number :) The why is basicaly the same as to why people have any irrational beliefs at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:06 am 
Alien Party Admin
Alien Party Admin

Haha, i know what you mean Shiina :D
My grandfather was born on "Friday the 13th", and he's still healthy as a hoarse at 82! :O Apparently 13 isnt bad news for everyone! ;)
Still, i have been known to be... Sort of, superstitious .o.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]