Alien 9 / Alien Nine Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: The New Forum
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:31 am 
Fused Hybrid
Fused Hybrid

I don't think I've mentioned this yet, so I'd like to mention it now. I noticed that the forum changed, and I'd like to express that I like the change and welcome it fully. At first I merely liked the color scheme, but beyond the surface level of aesthetics, we can now we can add people as friends and all those other little details that makes communities feel closer. Ya know, some people get all pissed when things change, so I want to be the person that supports the creator's innovation. It's like a moral boost-- I would think. :]

So ya, Thanks Sai. (Assuming that Sai made the change of course, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Post subject: Re: The New Forum
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:40 pm 
Alien Party Admin
Alien Party Admin

Glad you like the change. The main reason for the change was due to all the spam. I'd implemented various antispam methods on the old forum (register captcha, anti-robot script block etc.) but some persistent spammers were still getting through daily. So to use some newer antispam methods I had to update the forum software.

Then I was able to add a new antispam whereby posting links are blocked for new users. But we still had some strange no-link spammers coming in posting irrelevant stuff. So now they also have to answer a very easy Alien Nine related question to register. So far this seems to of worked, we've had new users so it's not blocking new registrations and also we've had ZERO spam for ages! *knocks on wood for luck*

I was dreading updating for a long time because I didn't want to lose all the custom edits to the old board or all the posts but the changeover was quite smooth, with no content lost it seems. Sadly we did lose some custom edits like the more advanced Quick Reply and the main website homepage forum feeds. It'd be nice to get those back someday but for now I'm just glad the forum is looking clean and I'm not having to delete spam threads manually.

I didn't notice new features like Friending etc. so thats cool.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]