Alien 9 / Alien Nine Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:48 am 
Alien Party Admin
Alien Party Admin

Hey guys, I recently pieced together what turns out to be a really funny translation error. Check this out!

Alright, so, throughout the Alien Nine mangas, there are a couple references to a punk rock band called Dead Kennedys. I guess Hitoshi Tomizawa enjoys their music, and just wanted to throw in a few references for fun. The first reference is here, on the lovely Mrs. Kawamura's shirt sleeves; it's just one of those drawings in between chapters: (after you click the thumbnail the page will load with a scaled version of the picture; click that picture again to see it in full)

The next picture reference is also on a little "in-between-chapters-page". This one is on Yuri's jacket.

Alright, so at this point we can tell two things: 1. Hitoshi Tomizawa has not only gotten the band name wrong twice, but both times he got it wrong in a different way. 2. Dead Kennedys played a concert in Dallas in 1963.

About 1: the first time, Mr. Tmizawa wrote "Dead Kennedy", leaving out the plural "s". The second time he put the "s", but wrote "Kenneys" instead of "Kennedys". Obviously, his isn't very good with English. But suppose this: He searches "Dead Kennedy" looking for info about them. He misinterprets a report though, and thinks that Dead Kennedy played a concert in 1963 in Dallas. But wait- Dead Kennedys were formed in 1978. The misunderstanding lies in the fact that the article he heard that from wasn't mentioning a concert where the band played a Dallas gig in 1963: It was Robert F. Kennedy's assassination.

It was an easy mistake to make though, if he was looking up info about them on sites that were in English. Or perhaps he was looking at a Japanese site that made the mistake first. Either way, it's pretty darn funny in my oppinion XD
Oh, and any sixth grader who listens to Dead Kennedys probably never had a childhood .o.

Post subject: Man~
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:07 pm 
Borg Wearer
Borg Wearer

You give that guy no slack! XD But I was wandering about they kumi's shirt said that. Thank you.
:3

Post subject: Re: Man~
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:06 pm 
Alien Party Admin
Alien Party Admin

Quote:
You give that guy no slack! XD But I was wandering about they kumi's shirt said that. Thank you.
:3
Haha, you're welcome, it was my pleasure XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:40 pm 
New Student
New Student

I missed the first one, but when reading the second, I thought it was trying to simultaneously reference both the Dead Kennedys and South Park.

Forum locked  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]